How War Hazards Compensation Affects Defense Base Act Cases –
What is the War Hazards Compensation Act?
Generally speaking, the War Hazards Compensation Act is a program whereby the United States government repays insurance companies for the benefits those companies paid to injured workers whose injuries were caused by a “war-risk hazard”.
What is a War-Risk Hazard? – Defense Base Act Lawyers
A war-risk hazard is:
- Any injurious hazard caused by a hostile force or person (i.e., enemy, terrorist, etc.), or
- Any injurious hazard resulting from the operation of aircraft or vessels in zones of hostilities.
Common war-risk hazard injuries can result from the following:
- Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs)
- Terrorist or Militant Attacks
- Gunshots or Small Arms Fire
- Mortar Attacks or Mines
- Rocket Propelled Grenades (RPGs)
- Aircraft Mishaps / Running for Cover
What Is War-Risk Hazard Injury? – Defense Base Act Lawyers
Any injury that is covered by the Defense Base Act is also considered a “war-risk hazard injury” if the injury was caused by a hostile force or person, and/or a vessel or aircraft attack.
Some common war-risk hazard injuries include:
- Catastrophic Injury or Death from IED or Gunshot
- Psychological Injury from War or Combat
- Injuries Sustained Running to Bunker During Mortar Attack
- Slip-And-Fall Injury if Result of a Terrorist Attack
- Loss of Limb from Grenade or Mortar
- Vehicle Accident Injury Patrolling Base
- Airplane Crashes & Rough Aircraft Landings
- Helicopter Blade Strike Injury
- Certain Injuries While Exiting an Aircraft
How Does War Hazard Affect My Defense Base Act Claim?
It is important to understand that insurance companies handle Defense Base Act cases differently when the War Hazards Compensation Act may be involved. If the insurance company is going to be reimbursed by the U.S. government under The War Hazards Compensation Act, it may affect how they value your claim and/or how willing to settle they are.
If you are a DBA employee whose injuries may have been due to War Hazard, consulting with an experienced Defense Base Act lawyer who understands the War Hazards Compensation Act experience is one of the best decisions you can make.
Our experienced Defense Base Act lawyers understand how insurance companies handle Defense Base Act claim with a War Hazards Compensation Act component. We would be happy to discuss your case with you to help you evaluate how your Defense Base Act injury claim might be affected by the War Hazards Compensation Act.